Well then. You’re cruising along, doing the best you can. You’re excercising, you’re eating right, you’ve cleaned up your act. Then one morning you wake up and you’re almost 40! The horror of it all! Right?
Well, to tell the truth it really wasn’t that bad. In fact, it’s been pretty spiffy. The Mrs. and the Young-one woke up me up this morning with breakfast in bed. I got some new tools that will help my writing considerably, and tonight the Young-One is cooking me sloppy joes for dinner. Happy Birthday indeed!
The well wishes have been down right staggering over at my Facebook page and all I can say to that is; you folks are pretty awesome! Thanks to all of you for the birthday wishes!
In the meantime, thanks to my mom and the Mrs. I now have a shiny new laptop/netbook for my writing pleasure. (And really, it is a pleasure!) I’ve spent the better part of today getting things setup just right and breaking in the beast and I can call it a success. It’s an HP Mini 210 and I love it! The battery life is insane! 8 hours? Oh hell yes!
In getting the new laptop ready, I decided it was time to get the writing folder cleaned up and I was a bit shocked at what I found! In total, I found that I have 13 writing projects in the works! These stories are in various stages of completion, some lined up for editing and others still in early gestation, but that’s a lot on my plate!
Just for shits and or giggles, I figured I’d share the list so you can see what’s in store for the year. Keep in mind, these notes are exactly that; notes! So they’re rough! See something that you think would be cool to read? Make sure to comment and let me know! Enough interest may get one project bumped up over another!
1. The Granny Story: Currently started as “Dead Before Dark”. Playing on Granny’s old superstitions that if you took flowers from a cemetery, there would be tears before dark. i.e. someone you knew would be dead before dark. The idea starts with a teenage (13-14? Older) boy at a funeral with his Grandmother where she utters the legend in with distaste at the relatives picking apart the funeral arrangements. To spite his grandmother, the boy takes a flower just so he could say ‘see, nothing happened’ and as a result, many around him start to die as Death starts to make it’s way to him.
2. Bloodhound: Well under way already. 30+ pages. Needs to be finished up so that it can enter the editing phase. Expecting a good 60-70 pages on this. Im aiming for a ‘mutant’ noir feel here as it’s kind of a crime boiler type feel with a guy with mutant powers.
3. Dinner With Denton: Ongoing. First Novel. Not your daddy’s cannibal story. More like…Rachel Ray’s cannibal story.
4. Love Song at Ground Zero: In editing phase. Down to rewriting the ending/last paragraph. Changing the scope to go with my original idea instead of compromising and taking the easy/predictable way out!
5. King of Squalor: Submitted to Fangoria.com. Waiting for response
6. Incident at Crater Lake: around 12k words. In line for heavy editing. Already slated for “Mondo Sasquatch”
7. Mother of Two: rejected a few times, latest by Pill Hill Press. They thought there was a decent story in there, but it needed a heavy edit. I agree. In line for editing then shopping around again.
8. Jackboots for Jesus: Expansion. Story was published in “The Jack”, a college lit mag in 2008. Want to possibly expand the story, down on the list of importance.
9. Good Bye Jim: Story of the ‘fill in reaper’. Currently at 3400 words, unfinished. Needs finished, edited, submitted.
10. Dirty Work: Monster hunter team up. Good old boys who work as a unit. Look messy and sloppy from the outside, work as an effective machine as a whole. Good old fashioned ass kicking. Once draft is at 20k words, never finished. May need to revisit. Got overwhelmed and shoved aside. There is a 2nd short story version in the works, only at about 3k words that would be once separate adventure for the team. Perhaps more of an origin story. Still unfinished. Short version may wind up in “Dark II” as that’s what I started it for.
11. Dead of Night: Crap title, more a place holder. Young Adult series, two boys who are deep into comic books, once full of chaos one strict and by the rules. Based around an old comic called ‘Dead of Night’ ala Scary Tales and the old EC comics. They face off against a character that comes to life from the pages of the comic. Was originally thinking of this as a wrapper for a small say…3 story anthology but I’m having second thoughts. I’m starting to lean towards a series of Young Adult adventure stories where the two kids I have written already hunt monsters and mysteries that they come across starting with this creepy comic shop that appeared out of nowhere. Currently 3k words written.
12. A Fine Line: Another short that has been published at the “Sonar 4 Ezine” which is now defunct. It was an early story, it’s problematic at best. Started a rewrite, didn’t get too far. Has a nice accidental villain flare that would fit in with Des’s super hero anthology idea.
13. A Fat Man and his Dog: This was published as a serial at The Great and Secret Thing. It’s always been special to me because it sprang from me and my dog and our walks on my first bought of weight lost a good five years ago. I’d like to expand some day making the Fat Man kind of a Tall Tale kind of fantasy story, using this original serialization as a prologue. I don’t have a good grasp if it’s worth it though, I’ve barely ever gotten any feedback on it.